St Vincent’s Private Hospital receives Joint Commission International Accreditation
“Achieving JCI Accreditation is a collective effort and a testament to the commitment of all the staff in SVPH and our Quality and Safety Specialists, HCI, who provided us with expert knowledge and support throughout the accreditation process”
Chief Executive Officer, SVPH.
St Vincent’s Private Hospital (SVPH) is the single, biggest acute private hospital in Dublin. They offer a wide range of medical and surgical services and have the highest number of consultants and widest range of specialist care in Ireland’s only integrated multi-hospital campus. SVPH was awarded accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI) in October 2018, with support from HCI.
SVPH enlisted HCI to assist them in addressing non-conformances and help them fulfil the JCI Accreditation Standards effectively and efficiently. SVPH successfully received accreditation in line with the JCI Accreditation Standards for Hospitals, 6th edition for the fourth time in 2018.
- To identify any gaps in compliance of the Quality and Safety Management System (QSMS) against the JCI Accreditation Standards.
- To develop a structure and plan for achieving JCI Accreditation.
- To support and implement a Quality and Patient Safety Management System to achieve full compliance with the JCI Accreditation Standards for Hospitals, 6th edition.
In order to support SVPH’s QSMS and subsequently achieve JCI Accreditation, HCI provided the following services:
Quality and safety co-ordinator.
Development of project and work plan.
Development of QIP list.
Expert JCI support and guidance to staff.
Departmental and document reviews.
Document preparation for JCI survey.
- The JCI Accreditation Standards had been revised since SVPH’s previous accreditation cycle and subsequently there were a number of non-conformances that needed to be addressed.
- The restructure of the service directorate and changes in the governance structure had resulted in a lack of focus on the Quality Management System.
- Demands on internal quality and patient safety education, development and support
- There was a lack of quality data validated. The appropriate data was not being collected and analysed.
SVPH successfully achieved JCI Accreditation.
- The Gap Analysis identified the current strengths and weakness of the QSMS against the JCI Accreditation Standards for Hospitals and SVPH where presented with a roadmap for improvement.
- Effective project plan allowed senior management to see the milestones for each month and how they would be achieved.
- SVPH staff received expert education, guidance and support from HCI specialists.
- Increased focus on patient safety and continuous improvement.
- JCI accreditation serves as a recognition of SVPH assurance to provide the highest standards of care and patient experience.