Quality Management Information System Redevelopment and Support for Children’s Health Ireland
“Children’s Health Ireland worked with HCI to redevelop the Quality Management Information System (QMIS) for the hospital and laboratories. We were keen to implement a QMIS in the new Children’s Hospital that would be more user friendly and in line with best practice. HCI listened to our requirements and implemented a customised QMIS. HCI are now providing us with Administration and Support for the QMIS, helping us to prepare the system in time for the opening of the new hospital. We look forward to continuing to work with HCI to ensure we are maximising the functionality of our QMIS and maintaining it in line with best practice.”
Senior Clinical Applications Manager, Children’s Health Ireland
Children’s Health Ireland (CHI) provides health services for children and young people across Ireland. They operate four children’s hospitals within the greater Dublin area, and manage all national paediatric services. As CHI prepare to move to a new children’s hospital, they recognised the need to redevelop their Quality Management Information System (QMIS) to centralise data governance for the hospital and to make the system more user-friendly. Additionally, as there are two different laboratory databases, CHI wanted to integrate both laboratory databases, so that one process could be followed.
To do this, CHI requested HCI’s support with the redevelopment of the QMIS utilising Q-Pulse software and HCI KnowledgeTM. CHI also requested HCI to provide ongoing administration and support of the QMIS, to ensure the system is set up and functioning in line with best practice once the new hospital is opened.
- Implement a QMIS for the management of Policies, Procedures and Guidelines utilising Q-Pulse and HCI KnowledgeTM software.
- Integrate the two current laboratory systems with Crumlin and Temple Street into one CHI Labs QMIS.
- Make the QMIS more user-friendly.
- Provide a Governance tool for Senior Management to access real time data analytics from the QMIS.
- Communicate, educate and roll-out the system to all relevant departments within the organisation.
- Provide a QMIS administration service to keep the system up-to-date and in line with best practice.
- Provide a QMIS Support Help Desk for staff to help maximise usage of the QMIS and embed the system within CHI.
To ensure CHI implemented and maintained a best practice QMIS, HCI provided the following solution:
Development of Project Plan.
Q-Pulse upgrade and data migration.
Process mapping and QMIS Configuration for the Laboratory.
Process mapping and QMIS configuration for the Hospital.
HCI KnowledgeTM Development.
QMIS setup for the Laboratory and Hospital.
Communication, Training and System Roll-Out.
QMIS Support Helpdesk.
- Collating all the documentation from the various sources across the hospitals.
- The QMIS was utilised by the lab and the hospital in different ways.
The QMIS is much more user friendly. Staff will no longer need to log into the QMIS to search for, or view policies and procedures, access is easily available via the PPG LibraryTM. Staff can also acknowledge documents and reset their password. Senior Management Team and Heads of Departments have access to real time data analytics within QualSIPTM. Data is displayed in dynamic graphs and dashboards and provides centralised oversight of documents.
HCI continue to work with CHI to provide ongoing administration of the QMIS and a support helpdesk for staff. The HCI QMIS Support Team are working alongside the Senior Management and Department Heads to upload documents to the system, provide functional and technical support and ensure the system is implemented in line with best practice and functioning to maximum ability in time for the opening of the new hospital.
- HCI have extensive knowledge and experience on best practices for customising and implementing a QMIS.
- The QMIS is customised to CHI’s needs.
- The QMIS is a centralised system for the effective management of documents through the document lifecycle, which aids in policy and procedure control.
- PPG LibraryTM is a simplified web-interface which gives staff easy access to policies and procedures as no login is required.
- Document acknowledgement can be done more easily through the PPG LibraryTM.
- QualSIPTM provides real time data for documents, supporting the overall governance of CHI’s Policies, Procedures and Guidelines.
- The QMIS Administration and Support ensures the QMIS is maintained to best practice and functioning effectively and in line with the agreed processes. This reduces the pressure on internal resources.
- The QMIS Support Desk provides functional support to staff using the system, helping to embed the QMIS within the organisation.
- Monthly QMIS Staff Training Programme is provided along with simple training videos on general use of the QMIS.
- The QMIS Support Desk is very accessible to staff, contact details are readily available in HCI KnowledgeTM.
- Having the ability to reset one’s own password reduces the barriers to accessing and utilising the QMIS.
- Quality and Safety Support and advice is provided at the Quarterly Quality and Safety Review meetings.